Jen Wilkin, JT English, and Kyle Worley discuss Union with Christ, Trinitarianism, and Romans 8:1-18
Questions Covered in This Episode:
- What is the “therefore” there for?
- “In Christ Jesus”
- How am I declared righteous?
- How do we reconcile the way that Spirit of Christ and Spirit in Christ are used? (V. 9)
- How do we understand the Spirit of Christ also being the Spirit of the Father?
- How is what Paul is saying here different from gnosticism? (V. 5-8, 12-18)
- Is the doctrine of Union with Christ that we are in Christ or that He is in us? (V. 9-10)
- Discuss the doctrine of adoption.
- Existentially: In our lived experience of the world.
- Union with Christ: God invites us to live in His home, and His home is Jesus. That is how we make our home with God, we enter into home with God in Jesus. The Spirit of God is the invitation to come into the home, the home is the Son of God Jesus Christ, and it is full of all the good things the Father has for His family and His children.
- Divine Adoption: Playing out relationally of the concept of Union with Christ. You have a child relationship to the Father by virtue of the ontological relationship the Son has with the Father. What He possesses by right He gives to us by grace. What He has by nature He gives to us by adoption. That is the saving benefit of Union with Christ, everything that the Son has by nature and by right, He gives over to us in grace.
- Spirit of Christ: The Holy Spirit
Resources Mentioned in This Episode:
Amazon affiliate links are used where appropriate. As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases, thank you for supporting Knowing Faith.
Explore the Southern Seminary degrees designed to equip you to do even more to advance the cause of Christ and His Kingdom: SBTS.EDU/EXPLORE.
To learn more about our sponsors please visit our website.
Twitter | Instagram | Facebook | Website
Support Knowing Faith and Become a Patron: