On the seventeenth episode of the Family Discipleship Podcast the hosts (Adam Griffin, Chelsea Griffin, and Cassie Bryant) talk about family discipleship moments. Moments are taking advantage of everyday opportunities to foster conversations about God and godliness.
Questions we asked in this episode:
- Why is it important to be able to leverage opportunities in everyday life to talk about the gospel?
- What are some examples of family discipleship moments?
- How are our everyday interactions with our kids working towards our goals of discipling our family?
- How can making a mistake and repenting be a great family discipleship moment?
- What is a scripture you might use to address the following moments…
- When your child is angry
- When your child is sad
- When your child is celebrating
- When you messed up and want to apologize
- When you see something beautiful
- When your kids aren’t getting along
- Do y’all have any phrases that you like to come back to in family discipleship moments?
- Does your church do any equipping for families by creating or using the same language/phrasing repeatedly?
- Can you think of a “light bulb” moment for our kids that came from an unplanned spiritual conversation?
Some of our favorite quotes from this episode:
- “Jesus did this. We see Jesus in his incarnational ministry all the time pointing out everyday things that seem mundane or unimportant and use them to teach gospel truth. We have the same opportunity as we do life with our kids. We see things everyday that remind us of what’s true about God and what’s true about us.” - Chelsea Griffin
- “It’s such a great example to show our kids our need for Christ. We never outgrow our need for him, we only grow more aware of it.” - Cassie Bryant
- “Most of my parenting failures come out of me relying on my own strength or operating in what I think is best and not what God says is best. When I fail, it is such a great opportunity to show my family my need for Christ.” - Cassie Bryant
Resources mentioned in this episode:
To keep up with the Family Discipleship Podcast, follow us on Instagram, Facebook, & Twitter.
To read more about family discipleship, check out the book Family Discipleship: Leading Your Home Through Time, Moments, and Milestones by Adam Griffin and Matt Chandler.
The Family Discipleship Podcast is a podcast of Training the Church.