On the second episode of the Family Discipleship Podcast the hosts (Adam Griffin, Cassie Bryant, and Chelsea Griffin) talk with their friend and special guest Matt Chandler.
Matt is the Lead Pastor of The Village Church in Flower Mound Texas and the author of several books. To learn more about Matt or The Village Church you can follow him on instagram @mattchandler74 and find his church at thevillagechurch.net.
Questions we asked Matt in this episode:
- Who is “Matt Chandler the father and husband”?
- Who were some of the influences who helped shape your ideas of spiritual leadership in the home?
- What are some of your favorite memories of spiritual conversations with your kids?
- What has “not gone according to plan” in the Chandler home when it comes to spiritual leadership?
- What encouragement do you have for the parents listening who are feeling anxious and overwhelmed with the tasks of leading their home?
- Can you tell us about 13th birthdays in your household? What do you do for those rites of passage and where did you come up with that?
- Was it hard for your kids to grow up “Chandler’s kids” at your church? How do you and your wife navigate that and how do you help them not despise the church for what it demands of you?
- In an increasingly secular culture what makes family discipleship so important right now?
- What role has the church played in Chandler family discipleship?
- What scriptures come to mind for you in how you lead your home?
- How can we join you in praying for your family?
Some of our favorite quotes from Matt Chandler in this episode:
- If you are going to parent well, you have to understand that there is grace for you. You are not going to nail it and grace frees you up from having to pretend that you are more than human.
- Show me parents who don’t ask for forgiveness from their kids and I’ll show you parents who don’t understand the gospel.
- Parents, you can do this. You don’t need a seminary degree. You don’t need to be able to speak Greek and Hebrew. You can do it. This isn’t as hard as you think it is.
- If we won’t do what’s right there in front of us then the world is going to do it for us. We are gonna wake up and we are not going to recognize or understand how this person who grew up in our house could believe what they believe or embrace what they embrace.
- It’s of utmost importance that parents realize how powerful they are in the lives of their children and not buy the lie that we shouldn’t tell them what to believe. Somebody’s gonna tell them what to believe. I want to be the one to do it.
Resources mentioned in this episode:
To keep up with the Family Discipleship Podcast, follow us on Instagram, Facebook, & Twitter.
To read more about family discipleship, check out the book Family Discipleship: Leading Your Home Through Time, Moments, and Milestones by Adam Griffin and Matt Chandler.
The Family Discipleship Podcast is a podcast of Training the Church.