Elizabeth Woodson is joined by Jen Wilkin to talk about The Law. The Law shows us who God is and what he loves, freeing us to live in our divine design as image-bearers.
Questions Covered in This Episode:
- How is The Law designed not to simply restrict Israel, but to form them as the people of God?
- Why do you think God begins this discussion by reminding Israel of how he delivered them out of Egypt?
- Why do you think Christians say that Christianity is not about rules but about relationship?
- How should we think about the law that we read in the book of Exodus?
- What does it look like for you to find delight in God’s law?
- Why do we want to obey the law?
- How do The Mosaic Covenant and the theme of the law point us toward the gospel?
- Moralism: You do the right thing in order to win approval, favor, or status.
- Morality: Obeying God’s law because it is right to do so, it brings glory to Him, and it is how you were designed to function.
- Civil Law: How to deal with disputes between citizens. How the moral law is practiced.
- Ceremonial Law: How do we approach God specifically in the worship patterns He has instituted for us. How the moral law is practiced. In our current time; shadows that have been fulfilled in the work of Christ.
- Moral Law: Expression of the heart of God. Shows us who God is and what God loves.
Jen Wilkin is an author and Bible teacher from Dallas, Texas. She has organized and led studies for women in home, church, and parachurch contexts. An advocate for Bible literacy, her passion is to see others become articulate and committed followers of Christ, with a clear understanding of why they believe what they believe, grounded in the Word of God. You can follow her on Instagram.
How has following in the way of Jesus formed you to love God and love God’s people?
If you want to learn more about the entire story of the Bible check out Elizabeth’s new study, From Beginning To Forever.
Amazon affiliate links are used where appropriate. As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases, thank you for supporting Training the Church.
Twitter | Instagram | TikTok
Our Sister Podcasts:
Knowing Faith | The Family Discipleship Podcast | Confronting Christianity
Starting Place with Elizabeth Woodson is a podcast of Training the Church. For ad-free episodes and more content check out our Patreon.